Friday, March 19, 2010

Congratulations

Today, I ran at the University of Arizona for a varsity track meet. As a 2 miler, we got to run in the middle of the college meet. I freaked out! I also ran the fastest time I have ever run for 3200m. It felt amazing.

This is not my story. What was important - a couple events before and after my race. Before my race, I got to say hello to a girl who used to run track with me as hurdler. She was exactly what I remembered and so friendly - not afraid to say hello to us high school kids.

The other event happened while I was sitting on the bleachers watching the college girls run. I scanned the pack running the 5000m and saw a girl who used to run distance with me! She is a gorgeous girl and the best word to describe her is simply, cool. Really cool. She was always a fast runner and she was near the end of the pack but I was so happy for her!

I know she loves running.

I don't think I can convey what I want to convey here, so I'll move on.

When you meet someone, you remember their name and who they are but years from now - what's left?

I hope it is something good and exciting.

I remember a girl with long blonde hair who was my 'competition'. We were just like each other. One day, I stepped on the high school track for the first time. We were both in eighth grade and then we ran a warm up mile. I don't think I've ever ran that fast in my life. Keeping up with her was brutal but I didn't want to let her know how tired I was so I pushed and pushed.

As I sat in the car ride from my first time at the college track as a junior, I couldn't remember her name. Finally, as we exited the freeway, I remembered.

We both just wanted to be great.

Congratulations - We both made it.

I didn't see her at the track today. Last I heard she was very happy to have made the cheerleading team at the school down the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MknhYSj_w-I

No comments:

Post a Comment