Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Pride and Prejudice

Today I shadowed a lady at the International Student Center at a university. I met two girls from Kuwait. In the lobby while we waited, an Asian guy walks in. He stands around for a while, watching the sports broadcast on television. It was a soccer match between the PRK and AUS.

Then one of the girls looks over at him and asks, "PRK? What's that stand for?"

And everyone in the lobby sort of shrugs. I want to tell her it stands for the People's Republic of Korea, but then it would seem like I'd been eavesdropping. So I don't say anything.

The girl's sister says, "You're Korean, aren't you? Which do you support?"

It took me a moment to realize she meant, North or South Korea? And the guy replied, "South."

The girl said, "Of course."

And suddenly on the television, the camera pans out over the crowd. A big sign is displayed by one of the fans that reads, "Kim Jong-il thinks I'm at work". No one in the lobby says anything. I guess there wasn't any need.

No comments:

Post a Comment